Wednesday, August 12, 2009

google maps street view

I just realized I can now see the house I grew up on on googlemaps street view. I find this simultaneously weird and cool. It's weird because in a way I feel it violates a sense of privacy, but then again anyone can drive down any street and see any location they want. Also it's weird because for the longest time you couldn't see it, and now you can. It seems so sudden, but I don't remember the last time I checked. I guess googlemaps has expanded their horizons.

It is also good news because sometimes when I am homesick I will look at my hometown on google maps from above, to remember the street names and places. Now I can actually look at a picture of my house. (If I am that homesick I should just take a picture of my house and tack it on my wall).

One fun little game to play is to drop the little yellow google maps man somewhere randomly in the United States (or Japan! or Austrailia! Or the UK!) and see a street that you will probably never go down. Another fun game is drop him down in famous location that you yearn to visit.

I just wonder sbout the googlemaps car that drove into my neighborhood, silently taking pictures for the whole world to see.

It was a nice, sunny day when they drove down my street. There is sun shining through the trees, casting shadows on the lawn. It's the early morning, one of the prettiest times of the day. I can see the puddle in the street where the puddle always forms. The trashcans are still at the end of our driveway, but no one else's trashcans are out. I wonder if this is because no one brought in the cans yet from the day before, or they were out prematurely.

The puddle.

No comments:

Post a Comment